Cristo Rey New York High School
HeyMath! Usage = Higher Scores in High School Exit Exams
Cristo Rey New York High School provides an affordable alternative for urban families who seek a small, Catholic, college preparatory school for their sons and daughters. A member of the Cristo Rey Network, their motto is "Transforming Urban America, One Student at a Time". On September 16th 2005, Joe Parkes, President, Cristo Rey New York High School read Tom Friedman's Op-ed in the New York Times and decided to pilot HeyMath! at his school. This is their story.
- Math teachers identified several different topics where they felt their students could learn better using visual explanations from HeyMath! Lessons. These included: Introduction to Exponents, Zero negative and radical exponents and Using exponents.
- Teachers used the lessons in class (via a projector/ whiteboard) to make connections with real life and to explain the abstraction using animations and interactive lessons.
- Students ran the lessons as many times as they needed to, and this helped turn around most kids.
- Teachers accessed questions that are aligned to the Singapore curriculum for assessments. These questions are challenging, thought provoking and were great for creating.
Analysis of Student Performance
The Cristo Rey math teachers benefit from HeyMath! because they can deliver, in class, professionally developed math instruction animations via projector, and focus more on Socratic questioning and classroom management. They can also issue online assignments filled with problems created by schools in Singapore and India. The Cristo Rey math students can run any or all the HeyMath! animated lessons at home as many times as they need, free from any shame of not understanding the material in class. The students that run many HeyMath! lessons at home or in the computer lab inevitably improve their understanding and grades. - Teacher HeyMath! helped me raise my grades and pass the Math A regents because it was always there when there wasn't anyone else available to help me. It not only helped me raise my grade, but it kept me interested. I never became tired. - Student
Here's what the Math Chair at the school had to say
It's professional content. It's moving, active and professionally done. It's inherently engaging. What HeyMath! does is to give sufficient examples to really explain "why" it is, and extend from that idea into a lesson.
The Cristo Rey math teachers were really impressed by your team's responsiveness to our suggestions!
It all works like a charm. Kudos! Great work. The kids really love HeyMath
- Kenneth Meehan
HeyMath! meets curriculum criteria set by
- California Learning Resources Network (CLRN)
- Massachusetts Department of Education for Javits Gifted and Talented Education Grants
- British Educational Communications and Technology Agency (Becta), U.K. for Curriculum Online
- Singapore-Cambridge General Certificate of Education (GCE - O Level)
- Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE), India | Indian School Certificate Examinations (ICSE)