Clementi Town Secondary School
Self-Directed Learning (SDL) and Collaborative Learning (CoL)
Clementi Town Secondary School (CTSS) was founded in 1980. The school's vision is to be a vibrant community of learners
that values every individual and nurtures the spirit of excellence.
The mission is to develop in all their students the passion to learn, the confidence to lead and the humility to serve. As the West Zone Centre of Excellence (WZCoE) for Mathematics, they aim to create a vibrant and innovative community that provides professional development for teachers to ensure high quality of Mathematics learning for the students.
Partnership with HeyMath!
- CTSS commenced its partnership with HeyMath! in 2004. Entire cohort Sec 1 to 4 students are on the HeyMath! E-learning system.
- In 2010, in line with IT Masterplan 3 of the Ministry of Education, CTSS partnered HeyMath! to implement Self- Directed Learning (SDL) and Collaborative Learning (CoL) for Mathematics.
Full E-Learning Module which include E-Lessons, Self-Assessments, Study Guides and Learning Tasks for SDL and WebQuests or Group projects for CoL
- CTSS requested HeyMath! to develop a full E-learning module for their Sec 1 to Sec 3 students so that they can do SDL and CoL using ICT during the September 1-week holiday.
- The E-learning modules with Lesson Plans included the following areas:
- For Self Directed Learning (SDL):
- HeyMath! E-Lessons with CYU (Check Your Understanding) Quiz.
- Student Lesson Study Guide for each E-Lesson.
- Student Learning Task Worksheet for interactive activities.
- Online Worksheets for students to access their understanding of the topic.
- For Collaborative Learning (CoL):
- HeyMath! developed Web Quest task and Group Project activities with full rubrics for students to use ICT and Internet to complete a project.
- For Self Directed Learning (SDL):
- The teachers monitored the students learning and submissions through the usage reports.
- Also they acted as facilitators and graded the students for their group presentation in class based on rubrics.
Students' Survey Results
|I am able to apply learning in new context through the learning tasksheets and guided worksheets||80%||20%|
|I am able to learn beyond the curriculum through the Web Quest/Group Activity||73%||27%|
|The E-learning package issued has helped me to be disciplined in my learning of Mathematics||76%||24%|
|The worksheets issued after completion of the E-learning package, were engaging||80%||20%|
|The fully worked out solutions in the CYU are explained in a clear and concise manner; and aids in my review of the questions||84%||16%|
|I have gained more confidence in attending school exams after doing the HeyMath! E-learning package and worksheets||73%||27%|
Here's what the teachers and students at the school had to say
During September school holidays, the students were still learning Math. The difference was that they planned what they wanted to
study for the day or week, and they planned how much in-depth they wanted to study. They planned which worksheets they wanted to
do, and they planned their own remediation when they did not meet their own target grade, e.g. redo the worksheet, or revisit the e-lessons.
In short, they took charge of their own learning.
The Web Quest was interesting, and the teachers encouraged and motivated the students to participate actively. Thus, the students planned and collaborated in preparing their presentation slides. The students presented and shared with the whole class their findings when school reopened. And they have done well. The teachers created their own rubrics of assessment and collected the scores as part of their CA2 results. For Professional Development aspects, we have learnt and will refine this e-learning project for SDL and CoL to take place better next year, e.g. giving more specific roles and responsibilities to the students.
- Mrs Esther Fong, Math Teacher, Clementi Town Secondary School
Through the e-learning, I get to learn at my own pace as I can look back at the lessons when I am unsure of how to solve a problem.
- Farah Ameerah Bte Feisal, Sec 1 student, Clementi Town Secondary School
HeyMath! meets curriculum criteria set by
- Singapore-Cambridge General Certificate of Education (GCE - O Level)
- California Learning Resources Network (CLRN)
- Massachusetts Department of Education for Javits Gifted and Talented Education Grants
- British Educational Communications and Technology Agency (Becta), U.K. for Curriculum Online
- Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE), India | Indian School Certificate Examinations (ICSE)