Teacher Work Attachment (TWA)
Enhancing the capacity of the teaching staff has been a key focus of the Ministry of Education. This move is to build a strong teaching force that allows the teachers to learn new ways of teaching and to re-think school processes in a different context. MOE introduced Teacher Work Attachment in 2003 to widen teachers' experience. Under this programme, teachers are attached to public and private sector organisations for a period lasting from one week to one year. TWA can be done locally or overseas. The experience they gain is intended to enrich their teaching and create new learning experiences for professional development.
TWA at HeyMath!
- HeyMath! has been hosting Singapore teachers under the TWA Programme since 2008.
- This year, 2 teachers from Queenstown Secondary School worked at our Chennai office, India for 3 weeks in October.
- They in conjunction with our content team reviewed lessons, wrote scripts for differentiated content for streams, developed/enhanced learning tools, and discussed the spiraling nature of the topics such as Algebra and Statistics.
- The interactions between HeyMath! and the teachers were mutually beneficial and interesting.
- In addition, the teachers were provided an opportunity to teach and observe in one of the HeyMath! partner schools, so that they can imbibe and experience the atmosphere of the teaching in India.
- Also, the students from Queenstown Secondary School visited Chennai for an education tour for 1 week. HeyMath! conducted a Maths Trail for them and other partner Chennai schools at DakshinaChitra connecting Maths to Art, History and Culture.
- The students and teachers enjoyed the innovative trail and it definitely proved to be an enriching event for all the participants.
Queenstown Secondary School Teachers' Experience
The work attachment at HeyMath! enabled me to gain new perspectives of education as it gave me first-hand experience on the
background work HeyMath! does before bringing the online lessons to the live stage which is viewed by the students and the teachers.
Also, the priceless opportunity of teaching in P.S. Senior Secondary School has given me the exposure of the Indian educational system and also many new ideas in teaching Mathematics in more creative ways. This has surely been a great learning experience in my teaching career.
Thank you for arranging the work attachment, I have found my time spent here to be both useful and interestingly memorable.
- Ms. Jayasolai, Teacher, Queenstown Secondary School
I am honored and privileged to have been given the opportunity for a work attachment with HeyMath!
Although my attachment was brief (3 weeks), I still managed to gain invaluable experience on the design and development of interactive online lesson plans. This would not be possible, if not for the friendly and helpful staff of HeyMath! who are always ready to render their assistance as and when needed.
Discussions I had with the Content Development Team helped to promote exchange of ideas and gave me a new perspective on lesson designing. I got to understand the considerations and limitations the team had during the design of the online lesson plans. The experience I had with the team has definitely benefited me in my professional development and teaching pedagogy.
I would like to express my utmost heartfelt gratitude to the all staff of HeyMath! for a job well done and the wonderful and memorable experience.
- Ms. Desiree Ho, Teacher, Queenstown Secondary School
HeyMath! meets curriculum criteria set by
- Singapore-Cambridge General Certificate of Education (GCE - O Level)
- California Learning Resources Network (CLRN)
- Massachusetts Department of Education for Javits Gifted and Talented Education Grants
- British Educational Communications and Technology Agency (Becta), U.K. for Curriculum Online
- Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE), India | Indian School Certificate Examinations (ICSE)