Bowen Secondary School
HeyMath! Raises Test Scores for High-Risk Students
Bowen Secondary School was started in 1982 in the growing new town of Ang Mo Kio in Singapore, with a mission to provide holistic and value-added education for all students. The Grade 10 (Secondary 4) Math teachers at the school were however very concerned that some of their students were at risk of failing their high school exit exams and decided to use HeyMath! to supplement their intervention. This is their story.
- Math teachers identified four main topics as areas of weakness: Circle Properties, Graphs of Functions, Indices and Congruence and Similarity.
- All students were given pre-tests on the above topics that were submitted online.
- The pass mark was set at 60%. Those who failed the tests were put through a sequenced program of study using HeyMath! lessons to revise specific topics, identified as each student's focus area for remediation.
- A post-test was given to students a week later to monitor their progress; this was also submitted online.
- The results are displayed in the adjoining graph.
Analysis of granular data for: Graphs of Functions
Here's what the curriculum leader at the school had to sayHeyMath! is willing to listen to us, make changes to their e-learning program, so as to customize it to teacher and student needs. If you have any ideas, call them - and they are more than willing to turn your dreams into reality... which is what they have done for us in this research study
HeyMath! meets curriculum criteria set by
- Singapore-Cambridge General Certificate of Education (GCE - O Level)
- California Learning Resources Network (CLRN)
- Massachusetts Department of Education for Javits Gifted and Talented Education Grants
- British Educational Communications and Technology Agency (Becta), U.K. for Curriculum Online
- Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE), India | Indian School Certificate Examinations (ICSE)